Who loves travelling? Probably, everyone. If you want to save on your budget, we have some tips for you. Here's how to find the cheapest flights to anywhere in the world.
1. Be flexible
This is the way most people approach getting a flight:
- Pick where they want to go
- Pick their dates
- See what prices are available
Typically this results in high prices.
Instead, if getting a cheap flight is your priority, flip that approach:
- See what prices are available via Google Flights, Momondo, etc. to various places are around the world
- Decide which of the cheap destinations appeal to you
- Select the dates you like that have cheap fares available
Be flexible with where and when to go. If you’ve picked out your destination, picked out your dates, and don’t have flexibility, 95% of what you can do to bring down the cost of airfare is already out the window. Flexibility is king. Plus, as we'll discuss below, once you get to Europe or Asia or wherever, it’s really easy to hop a budget flight to your final destination.
2. Cross the ocean as cheaply as possible
If you want to get the cheapest flights possible, focus on getting the cheapest fares across the ocean, even if it’s not from your home airport or to your ultimate destination.
Two itineraries are frequently cheaper than one. Plus you can stay and explore another city for as long or short as you like.
3. Avoid peak travel months
In North America and Europe, the cheapest time of year to fly is usually:
- January through mid-May
- September through early December
The most expensive time to fly is usually:
- Peak summer: mid-June through mid-August
- New Year’s Eve
It will also vary a bit by the specific destination, especially around popular festivals. Fares to Dublin for St. Patrick’s Day or to China for Chinese New Year aren’t cheap.
4. Know the best time to book cheap flights
We typically recommend booking when you see a great fare 1-3 months in advance for domestic flights and 2-8 months in advance for international flights.
5. Travel on the cheapest days
What are the cheapest days to travel? In general Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday are the cheapest days to travel. Friday and Sunday are usually the most expensive days.
6. Use the best tools to search for flights
Our three favorite tools to search for flights are Google Flights, Priceline, and Momondo. There are also some more complex ones like the ITA Matrix, SkyScanner, and various plugins, but for most folks Google Flights, Priceline, and Momondo are plenty.